Monday, April 4, 2016

Thoughts on temples

Here are some of my thoughts on the four temples that were announced at general conference:

  • Harare, Zimbabwe; No surprise here.  I thought Nigeria would get a second temple before Zimbabwe would get a first, but this temple makes sense.  I imagine Nigeria is on the short list.
  • Quito, Ecuador; I'm happy for Quito, they have been wanting one for a long time (at least my college room ate told me this in 2004 so that makes 12 years already!).  I was a bit surprised because it is not a long distance from a temple, but the temple district should be large enough and even small distances can be huge for people with smaller incomes.
  • Belém, Brazil; I really thought Brasillia would get a temple before Belem, but I was wrong. 
  • A second temple in Lima, Peru. This was the shocker for me.  There is already a third temple in Peru being built, I figured that would be enough.  I figured that other countries in Latin America would get a second temple before a city got a second. 

No surprise that that Latin America and Africa were the areas of focus.  In the slow transition towards Post-America Mormonism we see a quicker shift in the distribution of material and financial resources than the leadership.   This makes 7 temple announcements in a row in non US (and non Western) locations.  The leadership paints another picture.  The general primary presidency are all BYU grads from the Western US.  Of the 11 new members of the seventy 6 were from the US, and the others are from Western countries or have heavy US ties.  One from Australia, one from New Zealand, one from Italy who worked with the US government, and two from Latin America who both studied in the US (one at MIT, the other at BYU). 

One thing to note is that while it is great to see diversity in church leaders the number one quality is one that cannot be judged by their background.  Elder Renlund is already my new favorite even though he doesn't check very many diversity boxes that some where hoping for before he was called.

No comments:

Post a Comment