Despite the number of high profile shootings, there is not much hope for significant change. The gun control debate is not a yes or no question. The idea is not to take away guns, but to make it more difficult for idiots to get their hands on them. I don't have faith that anything will change in America given the political climate, but the case of Australia gives hope that change is at least possible. Of course America would not have to undertake such drastic policy to have an impact. Mandatory background checks, better gun ID laws, and psych tests are only common sense. Maybe smart guns can cut down on accidents in the future. Until Americans come to terms with that they will continue to shoot themselves in the foot with bad gun laws.
List of some of some gun incidents that I have noticed, not including the mass shootings that get most of the attention:
- Idaho woman shot by 2 year old son in Walmart. Story here.
- Three year old toddler shoots self. Story here
- Five year old shoots baby brother in head. Story here.
- 9 dead, 18 wounded in Biker brawl. Story here.
- Two shot outside Mormon church. Story here.