Monday, September 29, 2014

What would you put in your op-ed?

I love writing op-ed articles.  It is exciting, fun, liberating and always great to see the reaction.  Often the reaction is critical and negative which sometimes can hurt but usually makes me chuckle knowing that I ruffled a few feathers.  Here are three of my recent op-eds if you are interested.
  1. This article is my most recent one about the upcoming general conference.  The editor of Real Clear Religion has always been great in accepting my articles, hopefully that means they have some value to the readers.  He helped with the title on this piece which I thought was brilliant.
  2. This article is about the consequences of aging apostles.  While this article focuses on the benefit that members get from a visit from an apostle, I should have emphasized the benefit that they get from interacting with church membership.  
  3. This is a political op-ed that rejects comparisons of Putin and Hitler and instead makes a comparison to George W. Bush's foreign policy.  I thought this was a pretty witty comparison and then I googled it and found out I was not the first to make it.  After this was published I found out that another more scholarly comparison was made way back in 2005!  The editor at the Conversation made quite a few style changes which I felt made the work better, although I was a bit surprised at the amount of changes made.  
If you were to write an op-ed what would you say?  Why not find out and write one today!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your article on the upcoming General Conference and hope all continues to go well for you in Estonia! Boyd

    ReplyDelete