Wednesday, February 19, 2014

I love voting

Voting is one of my favorite things to do.  Lucky for me, Idaho is very good at getting absentee ballots.  Today I got one for the upcoming special election concerning an educational bond.  It has really been interesting to see Twin Falls grow, I moved there when I was two, so I don't remember everything, but the last 15 years have been pretty amazing.  New high school, Walmart,  new hospital, new roads, new subdivisions, the Chobani factory and so much more.  The LDS church has grown a lot too: LDS temple, third stake, several meeting houses, and Twin Falls is now its own mission. 

The bond in question is a 74 million dollar bond that would build two new elementary schools (I remember when they build Oregon Trail elementary school!) a new middle school and an expansion to the new high school.  It would also include improved safety measures for all the schools and improvements to the old high school.  That is a lot for a small town like Twin Falls, but it is booming so it is all needed.  While some people may begin to worry about the debt level of Twin Falls (2006 bond for the new high school, a 38 million dollar 20 year bond last year for water and sewage improvements), they should remember that these are the types of investments needed to maintain growth.  The debt burden will be spread over a long period of time and in 25 years Twin Falls will have grown mightily in population, which will spread the debt burden even further. 


I will vote yes and hope that the bond measure passes.  Maybe in a few years my nephews will even get to go to one of the new elementary schools. 

No comments:

Post a Comment