Monday, January 27, 2014

Good reads

We don't have too much news here other than it is winter! I thought I would highlight some interesting articles:

1. The American Dream This article looks as social mobility.  In some places in the US things are great, and in the South not so great.  I feel very blessed to have grown up in the Rocky mountains and not the South.
2. Adjunct professors  This is a great article that highlights the unfortunate situation of academic staff on temporary contracts.  Sometimes people wonder why I live in Estonia or how I could be happy here with such a small salary, but compared to my adjunct colleagues I'm not doing so bad.   I have a nice 3 year contract and of course full health benefits just like every tax paying Estonian.  I love my students and am excited for a new semester that starts today.  Working at Tallinn University is a dream come true.
 3. Tuesdays with Morrie.  Maris got me this book for Christmas and I loved it!  It motivated me to do a better job of inspiring my students.  It also made me thankful for the wonderful teachers I've had in my life. 

We saw a great movie the other day, the Butler.  While I grew up in Idaho in the 1980's and 1990's, it is pretty crazy to think about what others had to go through just a decade or two before I was born in the South.  I almost felt like I what I was watching was a different country.  It's nice that America has been making progress in reducing racism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment