Friday, July 5, 2013

Happy 4th of July!





 Happy 4th of July everybody!  Hopefully you all had a great time.  Most years I have always been abroad for the 4th of July (since 2002), this year was no different.  In general it is much better to be in the US for the holiday, as it is just a normal holiday here.  That being said celebrating the 4th of July abroad can be pretty interesting.  It always make you appriciate the good old USA.  I remember the 4th of July in 2007 when visiting the Red Square in Moscow Russia I saw Newt Gingrich (see photo below).  Usually me and Maris have a nice dinner or lunch to celebrate. This year Maris was in Finland for a Young Woman's camp so I decided to do something different, I went to the US Embassy 4th of July party at the Ambassador's residence!  It was super awesome.  I got to see my favorite diplomats, meet some nice US citizens, and enjoy some fantastic food!  They put away the burger stand before I got there, but I did get two pulled pork sandwiches, a cheese quesadilla, and two pieces of cake.  I had a few carrot sticks just for the fibre of it.


I thought the Hollywood sign was pretty awesome.  Almost as good as the real thing!

They had all the state flags there!  All of them kind of look the same, but after some searching I did find Idaho!  The greatest state in the union!  

 I was surprised by how big the event was, hundreds of people!  Pretty nice place the ambassador has.


 
This is Newt in 2007 in Moscow.  I think he was there on some book tour.  Funny, I don't see a flag pin on his lapel!

1 comment:

  1. You were at that party in Tallinn!! They showed it on the news but I think it was from before you got there because the burger stand was in the picture:)

    ReplyDelete