Thursday, May 2, 2013

Old man Matthew

I recently had a birthday and am now 30 years old!  Time flies pretty fast. We had a great day celebrating together.

 I woke up to a special birthday breakfast with lots of cold cereal   Normally we buy cheaper chocolate müsli and then put oat flakes in to increase fiber and decrease the cost.

 Maris made me a nice cake, it didn't have frosting balloons on it, but it did have really tasty cream cheese frosting that was spread on thick.


 We went out to eat at Lidos, possibly the best thing to ever come out of Latvia.  I have a huge cup of Borsh over flowing with sour cream, a glass of multi nectar (a Baltic special) a chicken filet with cheese and pineapple on top, some grilled pork and a waffle with whipped cream and a strawberry sauce.  It was awesome.



We went to the movie oblivion, it was really good.  They also had a display for the upcoming Star Trek on May 17th!  We are super excited.  Amazingly excited.

Now I thought I would give some interesting thoughts about being 30.  It's been a pretty awesome 30 years. The things I've been able to do is really crazy, the study abroads, internships, family vacations, mission, marriage, and everything else has been great.  I'm very thankful to have lived such a blessed life.  I'm also excited for the future, I have a great wife, a kid on the way, a great job, beautiful apartment and live in a really nice place called Keila!  Hopefully I'm a better person now than I used to be.  I think to a large part I am, but I look forward to trying to become a better person as well.  Another interesting thing about me is my change in taste.  When I was young I didn't like anything.  Life is really hard for a picky eater, so I have had to change my eating habits.  Here is a list of some foods that I didn't used to like but now do: almonds, mushrooms, kiwis, cabbage, beats, and lettuce.

I have thought a little bit about the future, what kind of life will I have and of course who knows.  But I do know what I want to see happen in the world.  I want to live until I am 92, that would get me to 2075.  I would love to know what the world would be like in 2075.  When I think back to 1983 the world was so different, no cell phones, computers, internet, DVDs, the Soviet Union still existed.  Mao had only been dead for 5 years and so on. The world certainly has changed.

This is a top 10 of what I want to see by the time I die (hopefully 2075):
10. I want to see Belarus in the European Union
9. Helsinki-Tallinn tunnel/train.  Some think that by 2050 or 2070 (Finish feasibility studies have been carried out) they could construct a tunnel under the Baltic sea connecting Tallinn and Helsinki.  This would mainly be for cargo, which could then go onward via the Rail Baltica to the rest of Europe.  This might be far fetched, but it would be pretty cool.
8. UN Security Council reform.  Something along the lines of 25 members (up from 15) 10 permanent members (up from 5), with no veto (majority of permanent members).  Who knows when if it will ever happen.
7. Russian president visit to Baltics.  Yes it is true, no Russian president has ever visited the Baltic States.  At some point people will have to get over the past and act like neighbors, hopefully it will be before 2075
6. A unified Korea.  North Korea is a tragedy in every sense of the word.  People there live such a crappy life, it would be great to see a unified democratic Korea
5. 50 million members of the church and a stake in Estonia.  Right now we have 15, (officially, in reality the number is lower).  Hopefully the church will continue to keep growing
4. High speed trains in America.  California has a plan to do it (and they should) but it will be way over budget and we'll have to see if it actually works out.  But before 2075 it should be up and running. (I love trains)
3. Man on Mars.  That would be pretty awesome to see.  I imagine it was pretty neat back when Armstrong landed on the Moon, but Mars! That is pretty far away.
2. Fission energy.  Fossil fuels are bad for the environment anyway you look at it (carbon emissions, extraction methods, and so on).  If we could have a break through in fission energy the world would change as we know it.    
1. First contact.  I know those aliens are out there!  We certainly won't be able to get to them in the next few hundred years, but maybe they are able to travel at the speed of light and could come visit us.  Even if they were able to send a non manned aircraft with information it would be pretty awesome.  I wonder what their worlds are like, is it like Avatar? Or some thing else?  You can tell that I am getting a little excited for the new Star Trek movie.

But even if I don't live to see any of those things, I'm excited to experience and see what ever comes my way.  Life has a habit as being as beautiful as we want it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment