Saturday, May 4, 2013

Live below the line challange

Yesterday I started the live below the line challenge   We are doing this as a class (participation is voluntary) in my Basics of IR course.  We talked about global poverty, and the North-South gap last week.  It was a perfect time to do the challenge.  The challenge is simple, spend $1.50 or less on food for 5 days in a row.  Over a billion people have to live off of $1.50 a day, the challenge is only food.  I didn't think it would be very hard because we don't spend very much on food (already eliminated drinks from the budget, and we don't eat a lot of meat).  When I went to the store and started adding things up it was a little tough.





So here is my food for the week:  In Euros it is 1.15 a day and 5.75 for the full 5 days.
Oat flakes: .42
Corn: .55
Pasta: .24 (it is super cheap I know)
mini hot dogs: 1.50
Milk: .50
Sour Cream: .69
Strawberry Jelly: .89
Apple: .20
Banana: .23
Potatoes: .19 ( I actually bought 6, but then I was over budget so I had to set 2 aside).
Bread: .35

Day one was pretty good, oatmeal takes a lot longer than cold cereal to eat.  I was at work for most of the day, there was a reception for a journal so I did eat some food there but only a little bit to be polite.  Otherwise I had 4 slices of white bread, a potato and 4 little hot dogs for a late lunch and then a late dinner.  Today I will have my famous sour cream pasta (without the meat).  Fast Sunday will come at a great time.

It really is sad to see the world produce so much and then to see so many who don't even get enough food to live.  Now is a good time to think about how much we have and is there anyway we can help others.  There are many great places to give, local food banks and soup kitchens, church fast offering funds, international organizations like the United Nations World Food Program.  I also like LDS Charities, they cover the costs of overhead, so 100% of donations actually go towards helping people.  They don't only deal with hunger relief, but their projects are all good: wheelchair donations, clean water projects, emergency response and disaster relief, food projects (see video below),  vision care, neonatal resuscitation training, and immunizations.




Here is an article about what you saw in the video 



2 comments:

  1. that's crazy! I don't think I could do that! My food budget is $800 a month for a family of five. and that's on the lower end compared to what most of my friends spend on food for their families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey--round 4 closed too soon, we didn't get to vote!

    ReplyDelete