Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Trip to Saaremaa

 This last weekend we took a trip to Saaremaa (the big island) the last time I had been there was 8 years ago when my family came to pick me up from my mission.  It was great to be back!  We spent time in the main city Kuressaare and Kihelkonna, which is a small village where Maris' aunt and uncle live.  I am pointing to Kuressaare on the map and Kihelkonna is North-West by the sea.  I saw one of my students on the return trip, her family has a summer home in the same area.  Also Elga was in the same area at about the same time as us! She is from Saaremaa and has friends and family there.  It seems as if that part of the island is pretty popular!

 In Kuressaare we found this awesome little street. 
 The Bishop's castle is awesome! Probably the best in Estonia.


 In Kihelkonna there was a pretty nice church.  It was very quiet and peaceful. 

 Maris's aunt and cousins, they were all very nice! Thanks for letting us stay with you. 
 We found some giant snails there! They were really big

 This is the main bus stop at Kihelkonna

This is a nice picture Maris took of Estonia on the way back.  You can see some wind turbines if you look closely.  Estonia is pretty big on getting energy from wind, especially along the Western coast.

All in all it was a great trip, hopefully it won't be another 8 years before I get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment