Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Interview and thoughts on politics

About a week or two ago an Estonian newspaper interviewed me about Mitt Romney and Mormonism.  Here is a link for those interested.  It says "A Mormon living in Estonia does not support Mitt Romney"  It sounds a bit weird in English, it may have been just as weird in Estonian too.  Anyway the paper just printed what I said, so nothing was taken out of context.  I was really happy with how it turned out.  At first I was a bit hesitant about the title, because part of me really does like Romney and just because I don't support him doesn't mean that I do support Obama.  Then I figured it was pretty good because A. I really don't support Romney, his foreign policy is really scary, and B. I think it is good for people in Estonia to know that what Mitt Romney says is not church policy. 

Also for anyone wondering I am voting for Obama because of a deal I had with my US foreign policy students, I promised them that I would vote for whoever they voted for in our class election, and they voted for Obama.  I'm not sure who I would vote for otherwise.  I would have to consider Gary Johnson from the Libertarian party, Virgil Goode from the Constitution party, or Ron Paul as a write in candidate.  I am scared out of my pants by what Romney has been saying (this would need another blog post).  I have also been very disappointed with Obama on the economy and not as impressed with his foreign policy as you might think (why did he surge in Afghanistan again?).  So that rules out both candidates.  You might be thinking that the economy is much more important than foreign policy, but the president almost has free hands when it comes to foreign policy.  He does have a large impact on economic policy, but Congress plays a major role as well, which is not true concerning foreign policy.

1 comment:

  1. That's so cool that you were interviewed! Glad that you were able to get your students involved :)

    ReplyDelete