Sunday, April 8, 2012

Higher education

There is a real problem in the US.  College tuition is increasing while the value of a college degree is decreasing.  Some have called this a bubble.  I'm not sure what will happen but there are two problems that need to be addressed.  One is the problem that too many professors are involved with research and not enough with teaching.  This is a problem because the access to the research that is produced is extremely limited.  There are two really good articles about education.

This one talks about teaching and research.  This one talks about academic publishing and how.  After reading these articles it is easy to understand BYU-Idaho's limited mission of being an education focused university, where teachers only teach and no research is produced.  I expect that more of these types of universities will pop up as time goes on. 

In Tallinn I see the same problem.  This is my first year on staff and there is a big pressure to publish and limited quality control on teaching.  I did participate in a training course on teaching and supervising before I started teaching but this was not required.  I'm not sure whether I like research or teaching better, I like having a mix.  It will be interesting to see how things change in academia in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment