Friday, December 30, 2011

2011- what a year!

2011 is almost over! Where did the time go? It has been a wonderful year for Maris and me. Here are some of the key events and highlights:

Year of the office. In January I gave Maris 'the office' seasons 1-3 for her birthday, we loved it and are now watching season 7 which we got this year for Christmas! That is almost 7 years worth of the office all packed into a single year. I really recommend the office for anyone looking for a funny TV show.

Year of the callings. This year I was called to serve as the district clerk and in the district presidency. The district clerk calling was by far the most challenging I have ever had and it helped me grow a lot. Maris is now the young women's president in our branch. One of the best things about living in Estonia is it gives more opportunities to serve in the church.

Year of the jobs. This fall I started as an IR 'assistant' in our department. I've been teaching classes, supervising students on their theses and even blogging a little on our IR blog! It has been awesome, the people I work with are great and the students are great. I love my job. Maris started as a teacher this year. She has wanted to be a teacher since high school. The students love her and she is doing a great job. She teaches 7th grade Estonian.

Year of the conferences. This summer I went to a conference in Turkey and Iceland to present a paper. Both of the presentations went well and now I have submitted revised versions of both papers to be published, hopefully 2012 will be the year of publications! Maris attended some conferences, one was on epics in Tartu which she liked.

Year of summer vacation. We had a great 5 week trip to the states this summer. We included trips to San Francisco and Canada! Including the conferences, summer was wild and travel packed, just the way it should be.

Year of a great marriage. March was our one year wedding anniversary, soon it will be two years! Maris is great and life with her keeps getting better and better.

2012 preview:

What will 2012 hold? we'll soon find out. Hopefully it will include the following:

More of my great job. I love my job and hopefully things will continue to go well with it. The university is building a new building that should be ready by September (they say May) all of our offices and class rooms will be there! we are all very excited. After the building is done the university will have top notch facilities. I also have 3 publications in the works, hopefully some of them will work out.

More academic tourism. The funding for academic travel is pretty good. Hopefully I will be able to participate in a conference or two, or maybe a summer school program. Some of the destinations to consider are Germany, Slovenia and Salt Lake City!

More time in the same calling. Since moving to Tallinn I have had three callings, the first for 5 months, the second for 8 months and now the third for a little over 3 months. In Tartu I had basically the same calling (switch from second counselor to first counselor doesn't really count) for the whole time I was there. I really like my current calling, I get to work with some really neat people.

No more time in school. I will still be in my PhD program, but Maris is very excited to graduate, she has a lot to do but I know she can do it! By the end of 2012 I will be more than half way through my studies!

Also another great year with Maris and hopefully opportunities to visit family back in the states.

1 comment:

  1. hi!! this is a test to see if I can post from mom and dad's computer. glad you guys had a great Christmas and hope we get to see you this summer!!

    ReplyDelete